To prevent a dramatic rise in homelessness as New Mexico navigates the COVID-19 crisis and its economic aftermath, Governor Michelle Lujan Grisham must prioritize housing relief, including legislation creating a rent relief fund and protections for renters in the upcoming special session this week. Legislative leaders have worked diligently on a crucial housing protection and rent relief package for New Mexico, but the Legislature cannot hear it unless the governor puts the legislation on her agenda.
New Mexico received hundreds of millions of dollars in federal funds to support New Mexicans impacted by the COVID-19 crisis. These funds should be used to prevent a housing crisis in New Mexico.
Call the governor at (505) 476-2200 before Wednesday, June 17 and ask her to create a rent relief fund and put housing protections on the agenda for the special session! You will only be able to leave a short, simple message on the phone with one or two points, but you can also email the Governor at this link with more extensive comments.
Information to consider including in your message to the governor about this important issue:
- All New Mexicans deserve access to safe and stable housing, and especially during a pandemic.
- Right now, thousands of families in our state can’t pay rent because of the pandemic-related economic downturn.
- New Mexico was already struggling with a housing crisis before the COVID-19 pandemic, and our communities cannot afford for this problem to get any worse.
- As current eviction protections and unemployment begin to end this summer, we need the state, through the Governor and the Legislature, to act to mitigate the financial devastation for families and prevent a dramatic rise in homelessness.
- If the state does not act in the special session, many New Mexican families will become homeless in the coming months.
- A sharp increase in homelessness will be devastating not only for families across our state, but entire communities, and our state and local economies for years to come.
- Please utilize federal CARES Act dollars to create a statewide rent relief fund.
- Please support meaningful legislation in the Special Session to repeal the antiquated statewide rent control ban and give the Governor the power to institute a statewide emergency eviction moratorium.