Every worker deserves a fair wage and basic protections in the workplace. Unfortunately, too many New Mexican workers are in jobs with very low pay and minimal or no benefits. Low-wage employees are particularly vulnerable to discrimination, mistreatment, unsafe working conditions and wage theft. Wage theft occurs when a worker is not paid for work performed, paid less than what was promised, or paid less than the minimum wage.
The New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty collaborates with workers and workers’ rights organizations to improve pay and working conditions for low-wage earners. Together we have achieved groundbreaking victories in workers’ compensation for agricultural workers and enforcement of New Mexico’s anti-wage theft laws. Our work continues to expand paid sick leave, health and safety protections, and fair wages for all workers in the state.
5 things you should know about your rights as a worker Unemployment benefits during the COVID-19 crisis As of April 1, 2020, you have a right to paid leave for COVID-19 reasons Worker health and safety protections during the pandemic Agricultural worker health and ...
Wage theft—the unlawful failure to pay wages rightfully owed to a worker—is rampant among New Mexico’s low-wage workers.
The Center works to advance policy changes to provide paid sick leave for all workers.
The Center seeks to include more workers like youth, dairy workers, packers, and other agricultural workers who are left out of fundamental protections.
Please visit our project pages for more resources related to specific programs.
- Factsheet-Unemployment during COVID (February 2021)
- Factsheet-CABQ Proposed PTO Ordinance-2020-11-04
- Factsheet-Unemployment during COVID-Spanish (October 2020)
- UI forum flyer Spanish-October 2020
- Flyer-UI Forum-Vietnamese (October 2020)
- UI forum flyer-2020-09-28
- Letter-From Southern NM Ag Worker Coalition to NM agencies-Health and safety issues-2020-04-22
- Factsheet-Worker Safety during COVID 19-Spanish (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Agricultural Worker Safety during COVID 19-Spanish (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Worker Safety during COVID 19 (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Agricultural Worker Safety during COVID 19 (August 2020)
- Letter-DWS-Unemployment Insurance issues (May 2020)
- Factsheet-Workers' Rights & COVID-19 (March 2020)
- Factsheet-Conoce Tus Derechos Laborales & COVID-19 (April 2020)
- New Mexico’s Infant and Toddler Action Agenda
- Factsheet-Conoce Tus Derechos-Trabajadores Que Trabajan En Agricultura-2020-02-04
- Factsheet-Know Your Rights-Agricultural Workers-2020-02-04
- Factsheet-Domestic & Home Care Workers (June 2019)
- Denuncie Violaciones de Robo de Salario (September 2018)
- Rios Olivas Declaration Olivas v. Bussy settlement (March 2018)
- Bravo Declaration Olivas v. Bussy settlement (March 2018)
- Castillo Declaration Olivas v. Bussy settlement (March 2018)
- Armendariz Declaration Olivas v. Bussy settlement (March 2018)