Every worker deserves a fair wage and basic protections in the workplace. Unfortunately, too many New Mexican workers receive very low pay and minimal or no benefits. Low-wage employees are particularly at risk of discrimination, mistreatment, unsafe working conditions and wage theft. Wage theft occurs when a worker is not paid for work performed, paid less than what was promised, or paid less than the minimum wage.
The New Mexico Center on Law and Poverty collaborates with workers and workers’ rights organizations to improve pay and working conditions for low-wage earners. Together we have achieved groundbreaking victories, guaranteeing a right to local and statewide paid time off, increasing the minimum wage, ending the exclusion of agricultural workers from workers’ compensation and the exclusion of domestic workers from state minimum wage laws, as well increasing enforcement of New Mexico’s anti-wage theft laws. Our work continues to expand health and safety protections and fair wages for all workers in the state.
Learn more about your rights to sick leave, unemployment benefits, and health and safety protections.
NMCLP advocates for robust enforcement of wage and anti-retaliation protections.
We have fought for guaranteed paid sick leave for New Mexico workers.
Everyone who works for a living should be able to raise a family and pay their bills.
Please visit our project pages for more resources related to specific programs.
- Factsheet-Unemployment Insurance (June 2021)
- Factsheet-Pandemic Unemployment Assistance (June 2021)
- Factsheet-Minimum wage-Spanish (Sept 2021)
- Factsheet-Paid Leave State & Local (August 2021)
- Know Your Rights-Minimum wage (June 2021)
- Factsheet-Unemployment during COVID (February 2021)
- Factsheet-Unemployment during COVID-Spanish (October 2020)
- Flyer-UI Forum-Vietnamese (October 2020)
- UI forum flyer-2020-09-28
- Letter-From Southern NM Ag Worker Coalition to NM agencies-Health and safety issues-2020-04-22
- Factsheet-Worker Safety during COVID 19-Spanish (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Agricultural Worker Safety during COVID 19-Spanish (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Worker Safety during COVID 19 (August 2020)
- Factsheet-Agricultural Worker Safety during COVID 19 (August 2020)
- Letter-DWS-Unemployment Insurance issues (May 2020)
- Factsheet-Workers' Rights & COVID-19 (March 2020)
- Factsheet-Conoce Tus Derechos Laborales & COVID-19 (April 2020)
- New Mexico’s Infant and Toddler Action Agenda
- Factsheet-Conoce Tus Derechos-Trabajadores Que Trabajan En Agricultura-2020-02-04
- Factsheet-Know Your Rights-Agricultural Workers-2020-02-04
- Factsheet-Domestic & Home Care Workers (June 2019)
- Denuncie Violaciones de Robo de Salario (September 2018)