All New Mexicans deserve access to economic equity and affordable housing, and our laws should prevent abusive financial practices, predatory loans, or wrongful eviction practices. However, too many New Mexicans encounter these harmful practices every day, extracting resources from our communities and impeding opportunities to build income and assets.
New Mexico has been experiencing a housing crisis in recent years, with over 43% of tenants unable to afford their rent and homelessness increasing faster than anywhere else in the nation. This dire issue has been exacerbated by the economic fallout of COVID-19.
At the same time, unregulated predatory lending has trapped thousands of New Mexican families in persistent cycles of high-cost debt. Unscrupulous lenders continue to offer loans with exorbitant interest rates, with no regard for an individual’s ability to repay them. have remained in borrowers’ pockets and spent at local businesses.
NMCLP is engaged in systemic advocacy to:
- Keep families in their homes and prevent homelessness by stopping evictions, protecting tenants’ rights, and creating affordable housing opportunities through rent relief and other measures.
- Protect family income from predatory lending by improving enforcement of laws and regulations impacting small loan companies, closing legal loopholes, and compelling high-cost lenders to be more accountable and transparent.
- Investigate and address abusive debt collection practices in New Mexico’s courts and municipalities, and resolve other predatory practices that harm families financially.
- Educate policymakers and communities about New Mexico’s student loan debt crisis, which has resulted in our state having the second highest rate of student loan defaults in the country.
- Factsheet-Housing rights (June 2021)
- Factsheet-HB 149 All inclusive 36% APR cap (February 2021)
- Factsheet-SB 66 All Inclusive 36% APR cap (February 2021)
- Factsheet-HB 111 Housing discrimination (February 2021)
- Factsheet-Housing & Evictions during COVID 19-Spanish (December 2020)
- Factsheet-Housing & Evictions during COVID19 (December 2020)
- DECLARACIÓN DE PENA DE PERJURIO PARA LOS CENTROS DE CONTROL Y PREVENCIÓN DE ENFERMEDADES
- DECLARATION UNDER PENALTY OF PERJURY-CDC ORDER (September 2020)
- Motion to Dismiss-CDC Order (September 2020)
- Factsheet-Utilities during COVID 19-Dari (July 2020)
- Factsheet-Housing & Evictions during COVID 19-Dari (July 2020)
- Factsheet-Housing & Evictions during COVID 19-Arabic (June 2020)
- Factsheet-Utilities & COVID 19-Arabic (June 2020)
- Letter to Governor-Housing Relief (June 2020)
- Factsheet-Utilities & COVID19-Spanish (April 2020)
- Factsheet-Utilities & COVID19-English (April 2020)
- Factsheet-Student Loan Bill of Rights (September 2019)
- Fact Sheet-FID Must Enact Regulations to Enforce the Small Loans Act (July 2018)
- NMCLP Track Changes to Proposed FID Regulations on HB 347 (April 2018)
- NMCLP Comments-Proposed FID Regulations on HB 347 (April 2018)
- ¡Conozca Sus Derechos! Small Loans Spanish Version (February 2018)
- Know Your Rights! Small Loans - English Version (February 2018)
- Factsheet-New Mexico's New Small Loan Law H.B. 347 (November 2017)