New Mexicans Deserve Fair Credit!
We need your help to get a bill requiring an all-inclusive 36% APR cap on storefront loans passed by the House Consumer and Public Affairs Committee TOMORROW at 10:00 a.m.
Please attend the hearing and give public comment to ensure that New Mexico’s laws prevent abusive and predatory financial practices.
New Mexico has one of the highest interest rate caps on installment loans in the country. Lenders across the state are taking advantage of triple-digit interest rates and draining hundreds of millions of dollars from hardworking New Mexicans each year. A family who borrows a storefront loan for just a few hundred dollars at the current rate cap of 175% APR will end up paying hundreds, even thousands of dollars in interest and fees.
You might share a personal story with legislators about why no one should be allowed to charge triple-digit interest rates. You might also share why you support the bill. For example: “I urge the Representative to support House Bill 132 for an all-inclusive 36% cap on storefront loans. No one should have to choose between paying their rent and making payments on a triple-digit loan. New Mexicans deserve access to fair and responsible credit.”
HB 132 Summary
House Bill 132, sponsored by Representatives Herrera, Garratt, Anderson, Ely and Speaker Egolf would require an all-inclusive 36% APR cap on storefront loans and ensure that New Mexico’s laws prevent abusive and predatory financial practices.
Public Comment Instructions
When: Tomorrow January 29 at 10:00 a.m.
How: Click the link below to join the webinar.
Or One tap mobile : US: +13462487799,,87885692969# or +16699009128,,87885692969#
Or Telephone: Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location):
US: +1 346 248 7799 or +1 669 900 9128 or +1 253 215 8782 or +1 312 626 6799 or +1
646 558 8656 or +1 301 715 8592
Webinar ID: 878 8569 2969
International numbers available: https://us02web.zoom.us/u/ksTm89qpc
What to Expect During the Hearing
The committee will be taking public comment. The chair of the committee will announce the bill and ask who supports HB 132. At that time, to provide a comment use the Zoom reaction button and raise your hand. The chair will call your name and unmute your zoom when it is your turn to speak.
- Keep your remarks brief and to the point.
- If you have a personal story about high interest loans, please share it.
- Close the Legislature’s webcast page when you give your comment so there is not an echo during your remarks.
- Make sure you are not muted when it is your turn to speak.
- Do not rely on your phone or computer for notes. Write them down on a piece of paper or print them out in case your computer or phone freeze.
- Close other tabs and windows in your browser to make sure your connection is good.
- If your microphone or internet connection doesn’t work then be prepared to call in on your phone using the number at the same link above.